View of Badiraguato
|• Municipal president||Diego Salazar|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (Mountain Standard Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (Mountain Daylight Time)|
Badiraguato is a small city and seat of the Badiraguato Municipality in the Mexican state of Sinaloa. It stands at . According to 2010 census, the city reported 3,725 inhabitants. The hamlet of La Tuna, located 110 kilometres to the North of the city, is the birthplace of Joaquín Guzmán Loera (El Chapo), for a long time Mexico's most powerful drug lord.
Badiraguato has a varied climate, from hot and arid to snowy forests in its higher parts. Areas vary from 44.5° Celsius, the hottest, to -9 °C degrees, the coldest.
President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) was widely criticized for meeting Consuela Loera, 92, mother of convicted drug dealer Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán, in Badiraguato during the COVID-19 pandemic in Mexico. Loera gave AMLO a letter asking that her son be repatriated to Mexico. Lopez Obrador said,
She is a 92-year-old lady and I already said, the fatal plague is corruption, not an older adult who deserves all my respect, regardless of who her son is. And I would keep doing it. Sometimes I have to shake hands, because that is my job, to white-collar criminals, who have not even lost their respectability. So how can I not give it to a lady?
Notable people from Badiraguato
- Arturo Beltrán Leyva, Mexican drug kingpin and one of the founders of Beltrán Leyva Cartel
- Alfredo Beltrán Leyva, Mexican drug kingpin and one of the founders of Beltrán Leyva Cartel
- Carlos Beltrán Leyva, Mexican drug kingpin and one of the founders of Beltrán Leyva Cartel
- Héctor Beltrán Leyva, Mexican drug kingpin and one of the founders of Beltrán Leyva Cartel
- Rafael Caro Quintero, Mexican drug kingpin and co-founder of the Guadalajara Cartel
- Juan José Esparragoza Moreno, Mexican drug kingpin and co-founder of the Guadalajara Cartel
- Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán, Mexican drug kingpin and former leader of the Sinaloa Cartel
- Stephey, M.J. (13 May 2009). "Joaquin Guzman Loera: Billionaire Drug Lord". Times. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- AMLO greets the mother of "El Chapo" on her visit to Badiraguato (VIDEO) (in Spanish) Proceso, 29 Mar 2020
- "Dear brother in Christ": they disseminate the complete letter of Chapo's mother to López Obrador (in Spanish) Infobe Mexico, 30 Mar 2020
- "Badiraguato: así es el pequeño pueblo escondido de Sinaloa, de donde salieron el "Chapo", Caro Quintero y el "Mayo"". infobae (in Spanish). Infoabae. Retrieved February 7, 2021.