This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Number of employees
Hyder Consulting was a multi-national advisory and design consultancy with particular specialisation in the transport, property, utilities and environmental sectors. The firm employed approximately 4,200 people across the UK, Europe, Germany, Middle East, Asia and Australia and has been listed on the London Stock Exchange since October 2002. The name Hyder is the Welsh word for "confidence".
In October 2014 it was acquired by Arcadis NV.
Hyder was formed in 1993 when engineering firms Acer Group and Wallace Evans Ltd were acquired by Welsh Water and subsequently merged, with the Hyder name entering use in 1996.
Acer Group was itself an internationally-recognised consultancy practice formed in 1987 by the merger of John Taylor and Sons (established 1739) and Freeman Fox and Partners (established 1857), and joined in 1991 by Sir Bruce White, Wolfe Barry, and Partners, in addition to a number of smaller specialist firms.
Hyder Consulting was subsequently acquired by Western Power Distribution, which prompted Hyder's senior management to instigate a management buy-out that was completed in January 2001. The firm was then listed on the London Stock Exchange in October 2002.
The firm's constituent practices were in projects such as the Victoria Falls Bridge (1905), the Sydney Harbour Bridge (1932), the Otto Beit Bridge (1939), [[the Adomi Bridge (1957), [[ the Forth Road Bridge (1964), the Severn Bridge (1966), the Bosphorus Bridge (1973), the Humber Bridge (1981), and the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge (1988). Other notable projects included the Parkes radio telescope (1961), the Erskine Bridge, the 46m Algonquin Radio Observatory (1965), and Melbourne's West Gate Bridge (1978).
Acquisitions since 2002
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Power System project and consultancy Ltd January 2013
- ESR Technology Limited (energy) July 2011
- RPA Quantity Surveyors (cost and project management) May 2007
- Marcus Hodges Environment (environment and hydrology) September 2004
- Ashact (environmental and process engineering) August 2004
- Bettridge Turner & Partners (land development and transport)
- Cresswell Associates (ecology) June 2006
- IC Ingenieur Consult (MEP) March 2011
- Seib Engineers (highways and transport) December 2007
- Voigt Engineers (utilities/airports) November 2007
- Munnich Projekt (highways and transport engineering) June 2006
- SAK (infrastructure) 2012
- Holfords Associates (architectural) June 2008
- Roberts & Partners International (mechanical, electrical and plumbing) July 2004
- ACLA (greening master planning and landscape architecture) July 2006
- ORAH Rail (railway signalling) January 2015
- The Flinders Group Pty Ltd (environmental services, planning, program & project management) March 2014
- PLD Consulting Pty Ltd (power) September 2013
- BCH Engineering Consultants Pty Limited (structural and marine) December 2012
- GW Engineers Australia Pty Limited (resources) March 2012
- Strategic Design and Development Pty Ltd (freight and transport logistics) October 2010
- Crescent PSS Pty Ltd (resources) February 2008
- Quiggin Cook and Associates Pty Ltd (mechanical and electrical engineering) September 2007
- Nolan-ITU (environment and waste management) 2006
- IrwinConsult Pty Ltd (transport) September 2005
- Weathered & Howe (building and infrastructure) June 2005
- Adamus Consulting Practice (building technologies) February 2004
- Jeff Moulsdale & Associates (land development) October 2003
- Peter Clarke & Associates (building services) 2002-03
- RFA (acoustics) 2002-03
Market Sectors and Services
- Building and Infrastructure
- Management services
- Property services
- Transport services
- Water services
Hyder has been delivering iconic landmark projects in over 100 countries for over two centuries.
As lead designer for several lots on the London 2012 Olympic Games, the company’s contribution to its third Olympics was varied. Works involved extensive earthworks, environmental and remedial work for the northern half of the Olympic Park site, lead design and environmental works to the Broxbourne White Water Canoe Centre for the slalom races, and a complicated route network system that saw transport routes being reversed or diverted around events including the running and cycling marathons.
Taiwan’s High Speed Railway was the largest civil engineering undertaking, when it opened in 2007, with Hyder as lead designer for two sections involving complex construction planning. The line carries over 44 million passengers a year on the 345 km of north-south rail link. Hyder also worked on the new Berlin Hauptbahnhof station which can handle 100 million passengers annually.
- "BBC - News article". BBC News. 2001-01-10. Retrieved 2008-05-08.
- List of bridges designed by Freeman Fox & Partners and built by Redpath Dorman Long or its predecessors in the booklet "50th anniversary of the opening of Sydney Harbour Bridge" 1982.
- "Construction of the Erskine Bridge - Erskinebridge.co.uk". www.erskinebridge.co.uk.
- "The Doomed Repair".