Rosalind Howells, Baroness Howells of St Davids
The Baroness Howells of St Davids
|Member of the House of Lords|
21 July 1999 – 10 January 2019
|Born||10 January 1931|
St Davids, Grenada
|Spouse(s)||John Charles Howells (m. 1955)|
|Education||St Joseph's College, Reading|
South West London College
|Alma mater||University of the District of Columbia|
Having been awarded an OBE in the 1994 New Year's Honours, she was made a Life peer as Baroness Howells of St Davids, of Charlton in the London Borough of Greenwich on 21 July 1999. The name St Davids refers to the parish in Grenada where she was brought up, to the south-east of the Island. She retired from the House of Lords on 10 January 2019.
Life and career
Howells was educated at St Joseph's College, Reading, South West London College and the University of the District of Columbia in Washington, D.C. In 1955, she married John Charles Howells and they have two daughters.
Howells served as the Director of the Greenwich Racial Equality Council as well as a Community and Equal Opportunities Worker. Baroness Howells is a trustee of the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust, and served as the unofficial advisor to the Lawrence family.
Howells was the first black woman to sit on the GLC's Training Board; the first female member of the Court of Governors of the University of Greenwich and was the Vice Chair at the London Voluntary Service Council. She has worked with the Carnival Liaison Committee, the Greater London Action in Race Equality, and has been an active campaigner for justice in the field of race relations. She is a Trustee of the Jason Roberts Foundation, which aims to provide a range of sporting opportunities for children and young people in the United Kingdom and Grenada.
In March 2009 she was inaugurated as the Chancellor of the University of Bedfordshire in Luton. Baroness Howells is a trustee of St George's University's UK Trust and serves on the board of the Windward Islands Research and Education Foundation (WINDREF), the research institute affiliated with St. George's University.
- Hansard: "Retirement of a Member: Baroness Howells of St Davids"
- "No. 53527". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 1993. p. 12.
- "No. 55564". The London Gazette. 27 July 1999. p. 8076.
- "Baroness Howells of St Davids". UK Parliament. Retrieved 31 October 2019.
- Jason Roberts Foundation website. Archived 9 August 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Baroness Howells announced as new University Chancellor", University of Bedfordshire, 19 March 2009. Archived 30 March 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- St George’s University.
- Announcement of her introduction at the House of Lords House of Lords minutes of proceedings, 25 October 1999.
- 100 Great Black Britons.
| Chancellor of the University of Bedfordshire