Warrior form of Gayatri
Brahmani depicted as feminine version of Brahma
|Affiliation||Avatar of Adi Parashakti, (Durga), Parvati, Shakti, Devi, Matrika, and also Warrior Gayatri|
Brahmani (Sanskrit: ब्रह्माणी, IAST: Brahmāṇī) or Brahmi (Sanskrit: ब्राह्मी, IAST: Brāhmī), is one of the Sapt Matrika (seven Mother) Goddesses called Matrikas. She is a form of Gayatri and is considered as the Shakti of the creator god Brahma in Hinduism.
She is an aspect of Adi Shakti, possessing the "Rajas Guna" and therefore is the source of Brahma's power.
She is depicted yellow in colour and with four heads. She may be depicted with four or six arms. Like Brahma, she holds a rosary or noose and kamandalu (water pot) or lotus stalk or , bells , vedas and trident and is seated on a hamsa (identified with a swan or goose) as her vahana (mount or vehicle). She is also shown seated on a lotus with the hamsa on her banner. She wears various ornaments and is distinguished by her basket-shaped crown called karaṇḍa mukuṭa. She is shown riding a white swan, as here vahana.
Brahmani temples in India
- Brahmani Mataji Temple at Baran in Rajasthan.
- Brahmani Mataji Temple at Pallo near Hanumangarh, Rajasthan.
- Brahmani Mata Temple at Village Brahmani, Hanumanganj, near Ballia in Uttar Pradesh.
- Brahmani Mata Temple at Bharmour near Chamba, Himachal Pradesh.
- Brahmani Mata Temple at Dingucha near Kalol, Gujarat.
- Brahmani Mata Temple at Sorsan, Rajasthan
- Brahmani Mata Temple at Anjar.
- Dictionary of Hindu Lore and Legend (ISBN 0-500-51088-1) by Anna Dallapiccola
- Hindu Goddesses: Vision of the Divine Feminine in the Hindu Religious Traditions (ISBN 81-208-0379-5) by David Kinsley
- Kutch Gurjar Kshatriyas : A brief History & Glory: by Raja Pawan Jethwa. (2007) Calcutta.Section IV Kuldevi names
- The Brahmani Mataji Temple, Baran
- Hanumangarh, Brahmani Temple
- "पल्लू में मां ब्रह्माणी के मंदिर में श्रद्धालुओं ने लगाई सप्तमी की धोक, मेला आज". Dainik Bhaskar (in Hindi). 17 October 2018. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Story of Brahmani Mata Temple at Ballia, video
- Brahmani Mata, a small, modest temple in a small cluster of buildings, with a tea stall and a pool with freezing cold water where devout pilgrims bathe at Bharmour
- Brahmani Mataji Temple at Dinghucha
- "यहां होती है देवी की पीठ की पूजा, पीठ सिंदूर और कनेर के पत्तों से होता है शृंगार". Dainik Bhaskar (in Hindi). 15 April 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2019.